FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Dedicated to technical discussion...
its no fluke that Renault McLaren and Ferrari engineers were in the OWG and are the ones who now have to play catchup.

Yip. :yes:

I think the regulations need to place more emphasis on mechanical grip and ground effect. Knowledge about the latter is much improved since it was basically banned, tracks are much safer and have smoother surfaces, and the cars are much safer.

And if you stripped the cars down to very limited downforce from the front and rear wings, it would negate any overly serious gains from the ground-forces to make cornering speeds too unsafe. Even with ground effects back in 1982 I think the cars still had much slower cornering speeds than modern F1 cars. It's a shame that we don't have apex-speed statistics from back then to look at like we do today.

They used ground effects on the ChampCars and they didn't go flying around corners at ridiculously high speeds, but then again that's a ChampCar, not an F1 car.

Also like I keep banging on about, they should re-widen the car back to 1997 specifications. Also lowering the front nose and "bulking up" certain parts of the cars such as the sidepods etc would allow for a greater slip-stream effect.
By nish2280
Complete ban on downforce = me having no job :(.

The point of a diffuser is to follow a theory which says that for high speed you need low pressure underneath the car. Therefore a diffuser helps pulling the air from under the car and pushing it upwards behind the car creating downforce.

For more info check out this link
http://www.scarbsf1.com/diffuser.html
By lollipop
Why didn't they just ban all the winglets and kanards and the rest of that nonsence but keep the rest? There was far more over taking last season!

I realise that part of the problem was the cost of development, but why not just simplify what they were already doing? As we've seen this season, you need a pretty big wallet, inside an incredibly deep pocket to develop these cars. Even if you were starting with a car that was head and shoulders above everyone else. In my opinion, this year's spec has helped the sport take a step backwards in terms of watching overtaking. There is a subtle difference between wtching closely matched cars, racing for position and watching cars go around a circuit as quicly as possible.

I think having another look at some of the prevoiously 'banned' ideas from the 80s would be a good idea. This might also make the cars cheaper to refine. If F1 is to remain as strong and as competitive as ever, car development needs to be a tad cheaper. Not too cheap, though. We don't want A1GP.

Get rid of KERS and these active front wings and keep it simple! It really cant be too hard to compose regulations that make money less relevent but the development race still important. It does my head in when a team says 'we're concentrating on next year's car'. Its a fancy way of saying 'we're giving up this season, so now we're just going to make up the numbers'. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.
By cap-dude
They can keep restricting aero regs. But turbulence will always be there. Theres only so much you can do before F1 becomes less of a pinnacle or engineering perfection.

My personal opinion, is implement a boost system. Where a driver gets something like 12 boosts per race. That way we get overtaking, and teams can still push the boundaries of engineering.
By autogyro
I suggested a return to the Lotus 88 Twin chassis concept with aero restrictions on the hub mounted body, no wings at all and more open mechanical set up.
It would need regulations to ensure an attractive result however.
By scotty
I'm just amazed they haven't simply put a limit on how big the wing angles can be. The double decker diffusers have played a massive part in ruining the OWG's intentions for these regs though.
I'm just amazed they haven't simply put a limit on how big the wing angles can be. The double decker diffusers have played a massive part in ruining the OWG's intentions for these regs though.

I'm surprised none of the top designers in F1 have said anything about this yet, it needs to be addressed quickly otherwise we will continue to have processions next year seeing as next year's cars are already being drawn up. :thumbdown:
By scotty

I'm surprised none of the top designers in F1 have said anything about this yet, it needs to be addressed quickly otherwise we will continue to have processions next year seeing as next year's cars are already being drawn up. :thumbdown:

It's one of those things where, upon hearing that they were legal/permitted, you'd have thought they'd move to change the rules for latter seasons to stop it happening again... they (the OWG) must've known the DD's would undo a lot of their work. Quite confusing really. However i think if they were going to bother to do anything about it, we'd have heard about it by now because next year's cars are already well down the design path. :irked:
maybe there should be a limit to how much down force and F1 car can produce. so the aero guys are not out of a job they can then focus on how slippery they can make the car.
By autogyro
It was Fota that prevented the FIA from doing it's job properly and structuring sensible regulations for 2010.
If it is more processional next year blame them.
They were also responsible for removing Kers from the equation and further stifling F1 technology in the eyes of the world motoring public.
I just hope that no refueling will help a little.
By nish2280
they should allow aerolastic "shark fins" and they should allow the the back of the rear wing to be aerolastic as well, from what i know the effect should be very interesting
By f1ea
My personal opinion, is implement a boost system. Where a driver gets something like 12 boosts per race. That way we get overtaking, and teams can still push the boundaries of engineering.

:nono: that would be the 'easy way out'. F1 engineers can do better than to come up with a silly boost button that you can use xtimes per race :thumbdown:
By bud
it doesnt help when every team deliberately tries to make their car have dirty air. Maybe a boost button is the way, limit the KERS use as cap dude said to 12 times a race or something like that.

See our F1 related articles too!