FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Dedicated to technical discussion...
By Jabberwocky
it would just make car management more important over a race distance.

short of making the brake disc removable with the wheel. so tyre, rim and disc are all changed at the stop
By darwin dali
it would just make car management more important over a race distance.

short of making the brake disc removable with the wheel. so tyre, rim and disc are all changed at the stop

Correct - car management in every respect will trump raw speed.

Changing brakes? There goes another $50m in development costs :P
By darwin dali
nope, it does not improve braking performance, quite the opposite in fact.

Does it? Does it really lessen the brakes' performance?
By Jabberwocky
I thought that as it up it creates an engine breaking effect. so that will take some stress away from the rear brakes.

as for car management I think a lot of current F1 drivers could be in trouble unless they change their style a lot
By RA Dunk

Well after using Ker's and hitting more speed than normal I would assume the brakes need to be used that bit harder to slow down?
By darwin dali

Well after using Ker's and hitting more speed than normal I would assume the brakes need to be used that bit harder to slow down?

Sure, but the braking itself is not diminished by KERS, is it?
By RA Dunk

No, But Kers wont be helping them any either
By darwin dali

No, But Kers wont be helping them any either

Yes, I thought that KERS is brake performance neutral. Otherwise the teams would have balked even more.
By Jabberwocky
I think the issue is that of grip, Kers only helps the brakes. as I am sure that the brakes are man enough to lock the rear wheels if needed. so all the kers will do is lessen the load.

How much extra speed do the kers cars have before hitting the brakes?
By RA Dunk

How much extra speed do the kers cars have before hitting the brakes?

lol I don't think there is a definative answer to that one, could be how long of a straight is it used on to get up extra speed, lateness/earlyness in breaking for corner, Theres quite a few thing's to be taken into consideration before that can be answered and i know none of the answers lol :P
By Gilles 27

I thought that KERS is brake performance neutral. Otherwise the teams would have balked even more.

yup the brakes themselves aren't affected but the brake balance and point at which the brakes begin to lock up the wheels fluctuates as the KERS is harvesting, so the drivers find it harder to slow the cars down. This marginally increases braking distances for KERS cars but apparently, this is one of the areas in which the Mercedes system was better than the Ferrari's. Ferrari were also harmed by the positioning of their KERS, which was a compromise and adversely affected their weight distribution, a fundamental problem with the chassis and packaging which meant that they couldn't drop KERS and were hobbled for the entire season.
By Cubejam
I have been thinking about the brakes for several months now. Now this isn't to do with the problem of them failing... but for overtaking....

You remember back to the good old days of F1, 80's, braking distance was much longer & so drivers would dive up the inside of other drivers to make breathtaking overtaking moves.... well I think brakes are one of the main factors in the lack of overtaking. I think, now that braking distance is shorter, brakes are better & so drivers can't dive up the inside like that any more.... I say degrade the brakes a little so we get the diving back...

Does any one agree?

See our F1 related articles too!