FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Dedicated to technical discussion...
By prozac26
During the weekend, I watched some IRL action, and the announcers started talking about the "Overtake Assist Button". So I did some research, and apparently it allows the engine to rev higher for a several seconds to gain power.

I was wondering if something like this can be used in F1 instead of KERS?
By Gaz
During the weekend, I watched some IRL action, and the announcers started talking about the "Overtake Assist Button". So I did some research, and apparently it allows the engine to rev higher for a several seconds to gain power.

I was wondering if something like this can be used in F1 instead of KERS?

It could be the's no reason why they couldn't let the engines rev higher for a few seconds, would be very very easy to do also just a case of programing the ECU a little.

However the idea behind KERS is that it can be translated to energy recovery system for the motor indrustry thefore making F1 "Green"

Williams' KERS system which uses a flywheel has been put into some Buses to reduce fuel consumption.
I thought KERS was more towards increasing overtaking...

Nah, pinnacle of technology.
I thought KERS was more towards increasing overtaking...

Nah, pinnacle of technology.

Both.
Having it rev dependant boost system would help overtaking more than KERS where the power is available at any point in the rev range.
By Gaz
Having it rev dependant boost system would help overtaking more than KERS where the power is available at any point in the rev range.

Yes but it wouldn't be very "green" would it, but as a cost exercise it would be millions and millions cheaper.

Yes but it wouldn't be very "green" would it, but as a cost exercise it would be millions and millions cheaper.

Being "green" isn't cheap; if the FIA want to push ahead with their cost cutting plans, being "green" will need to take a back burner.

In reality how GREEN can a 800bhp F1 car be?

Being "green" isn't cheap; if the FIA want to push ahead with their cost cutting plans, being "green" will need to take a back burner.

exactly, the amount of waste produced from creating KERS would probably make it pointless.
KERS is simply to make F1 look like it's making an effort to be green and road relevant. KERS achieves neither of these things in practice.

(Williams's KERS is a possible exception if they get it running)

Just look at 7UpJordan's avatar :P
By Gaz
KERS is simply to make F1 look like it's making an effort to be green and road relevant. KERS achieves neither of these things in practice.

(Williams's KERS is a possible exception if they get it running)

:yes:
By al4x
i have a similar thing on my road car, 2000 revs lower than the red line another cam opens up and you get an overtake boost, its fantastic lol and you only have to use it when you need it, being up so high
IRL's "overtake assist button" is complete and utter sh!t. I remember Paul Tracy said it only gives like 5 or 6 extra horsepower. This is just another failed attempt by the IRL to copy Champ Car's "push to pass" which used extra boost from the turbo.

If F1 wants to be green I think they should come up with a way to use hydrogen as fuel. I dont get why the FIA doesnt push for something like that, instead of giving us a crappy system such as kers.

See our F1 related articles too!