FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Just as it says...
By headless
could an F1 driver do the tour de France? No Could a cyclist race an F1 car? no

every athlete is conditioned to their chosen sport! So the question that matters is "are they fit enough for their own sport" not ones they do not contest

Is an F1 driver fit enough to sit on their arse all day no?
Am I?
Yes
Could I do an F1 race? No.

sitting on your arse requires fitness?

Erm .. yes
and its a very hard technique to master.
Still working on it.

There are also very specific dietary requirements.
hahah yeah
By 7UpJordan
could an F1 driver do the tour de France? No

Webber might be able to. :D
By headless
could an F1 driver do the tour de France? No

Webber might be able to. :D

Quite possibly.
By Amanda
Is it really that hard to be a professional footballer? I know a lot of people that play ameteur football, they run around for the full 90 minutes just like the professionals and seem okay and yet some of them aren't that fit. I thought being in the premier divisions was more about skill than fitness. However I may just be completely ignorant as I can't stand football (mainly because of said footballers).
By stonemonkey
Is it really that hard to be a professional footballer? I know a lot of people that play ameteur football, they run around for the full 90 minutes just like the professionals and seem okay and yet some of them aren't that fit. I thought being in the premier divisions was more about skill than fitness. However I may just be completely ignorant as I can't stand football (mainly because of said footballers).

Yeah, like F1 drivers just drive around in circles, footballers just kick a ball around a field.

Nah, I don't think anyone's denying that professional footballers have to be extremely fit and a difference in fitness levels between two teams would definitely have some bearing on the outcome.
By headless

Yeah, like F1 drivers just drive around in circles, footballers just kick a ball around a field.

Nah, I don't think anyone's denying that professional footballers have to be extremely fit and a difference in fitness levels between two teams would definitely have some bearing on the outcome.

Yeah fitness does matter, but I aint sure footballers are 'extremely fit'.
And you do see some fattys playing in amaetuuer leagues and they are fine.
By scotty

:rofl: Think that completely misses the point though, doesn't it. If a fat guy actually tried to play against professionals he'd get rings run around him...
By stonemonkey
Yeah fitness does matter, but I aint sure footballers are 'extremely fit'.

I realise that in professional football the fitness levels will vary quite a bit but I think to compare with F1 where there's only 20 drivers competing atm in the top motor sport you'd have to compare with the few professional footballers at the top worldwide.
By Amanda

Lol, clearly I know nothing which is what I thought. Ironically football is perhaps the most popular sport in Britain and just about the only one I don't watch, possibly because I have so little respect for footballers :blush:
By stonemonkey

Lol, clearly I know nothing which is what I thought. Ironically football is perhaps the most popular sport in Britain and just about the only one I don't watch, possibly because I have so little respect for footballers :blush:

No, you're not the only one who doesn't watch football.
By 7UpJordan

No, you're not the only one who doesn't watch football.

Me too, I went off Football a few months ago.

There was a time once when F1 drivers were very keen golfers, particularly when Mansell used to enter quite a few of the big tournaments!
By headless

:rofl: Think that completely misses the point though, doesn't it. If a fat guy actually tried to play against professionals he'd get rings run around him...

It be funny. Fat FC versus Arsenal
By Rivelution
F1 drivers are more fit.
(Regardless of ability) a F1 driver could easily play a full football match. Whilst a footballer could not go a race distance without blacking out or his neck snapping. In fact, not even a driver from another category could go a race distance without proper F1 fitness training.

:bs:

I bet anybody with excellent fitness would be fine in an F1 race.
By bud
its all relative firstly a fit person would need to know how to drive to keep heat into the tyres just to keep the car on the track.
A fit person that can drive fast enough therefore can class themselves as a racecar driver but then will they be able to withstand 60+ laps? if they can then they can class themselves as an F1 driver!
By Rivelution
its all relative firstly a fit person would need to know how to drive to keep heat into the tyres just to keep the car on the track.
A fit person that can drive fast enough therefore can class themselves as a racecar driver but then will they be able to withstand 60+ laps? if they can then they can class themselves as an F1 driver!

They'll probably be sore, but I'm pretty sure they wont "blackout or snap their neck."

See our F1 related articles too!