FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Dedicated to technical discussion...
From autosport.com:

McLaren decide against racing anvil wing

By Jonathan Noble Monday, July 14th 2008, 15:27 GMT

McLaren have decided against introducing their shark fin engine cover at the German Grand Prix, autosport.com has learned, despite some encouraging results in last week's Hockenheim test.

The Woking-based team experimented with the new cover as part of their build-up to this weekend's race, with Lewis Hamilton topping the times as he used it alongside other aerodynamic and mechanical developments.

However, autosport.com understands that McLaren want to run the fin in further tests before committing to using it at a race weekend. With further evaluation not possible prior to Hockenheim, the team will stick with their current design for now.

Heikki Kovalainen said after the test last week that he felt the team needed to be sure the shark fin would not be affected badly by crosswinds - something that caused Giancarlo Fisichella to crash his Force India during testing at Silverstone recently.

"Maybe Hockenheim is not the best place to try this new wing and we need to see if it is affected by crosswinds," said Kovalainen. "It was quite windy at the Hockenheim test, but we didn't seem to be too affected by the wind. It's definitely encouraging for the future."

McLaren's decision means that both the teams that tried shark fin covers out at the Hockenheim test last week have decided not to race them, with Toyota not taking theirs to the German GP either.
Ferrari will now be testing the shark fin as well on the final day's testing at Jerez.
By bud
Ferrari will now be testing the shark fin as well on the final day's testing at Jerez.

yeah read that, also Honda have tested it today i posted a pic in the McLaren ears thread
The Ferrari looks even worse than it normally does. It doesn't conceal all its aerodynamics parts in quite the same way as the MP4-23.
By bud

doesnt look too bad from this angle!

think with the nose horns the MP4-23 will lose bragging rights in the looks departments :hehe:

doesnt look too bad from this angle!

think with the nose horns the MP4-23 will lose bragging rights in the looks departments :hehe:

Hmm, maybe not yet. The F2008's side pods looks atrocious.
By Mikep99
Your right it does look fugly but when you boil it down I would not give a sh!t if it looked like this, as long as it performed.

:D
By Mikep99
I wonder if this is a desperate roll of the dice or it really was found to be a big improvement.

Ferrari set to race 'shark fin' in Hungary
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/080729102557.shtml

In Hungary this weekend, Ferrari will debut the so-called 'shark fin' engine cover it tested at Jerez last week, according to the Italian sports daily La Gazzetta dello Sport.
The newspaper said the concept, pioneered by Red Bull and then copied at races by Renault and Force India, succeeded in improving the stability of the F2008.
McLaren, Toyota and Honda have also tested 'shark fin'-style engine covers, but there is no indication the teams intend to yet use the innovation at races.
It is understood Ferrari intends to also use the shark-fin engine cover at Valencia late next month, but perhaps not at the following high speed Spa and Monza circuits.
"The fight for the title is still very open and we will leave nothing to chance in pursuing our objectives," Massa, who tested the engine cover last Friday, said before leaving Jerez.
I'd say it does offer a slight advantage, for enough people are deciding to use it. It could also be disadvantage if the track is particularly windy, however. McLaren seemed to hint that was the thing they were slightly concerned about.
Last edited by McLaren Fan on 29 Jul 08, 18:38, edited 1 time in total.
I swear that Ferrari is getting uglier and uglier.
By texasmr2
I swear that Ferrari is getting uglier and uglier.

N/S I hope the new rule change's eliminate most of the hideous add-on's.

See our F1 related articles too!