FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss equipment & technique - show-off your photography here!

Right then, I'm looking for something digital with a short capture rate (is there a term for that - I know it's different from shutter speed), ability to change lenses, mount on tripod, take multiple pictures quickly - basically, if we get press accreditation for Forumula1.com again - I want something versatile at both close and long range. Your thoughts before I phone the bank manager (again)? :)

You probably want to look at a Nikon d700 for a camera that wont break the bank, it shoots at 12mp and can take photos at up to 8 shots per second. You can go up into the canon 1d series but your talking serious bucks for the body and the lens's you need to unlock the cameras potential can run even higher.
i may be preaching to the converted but for the love of god DONT CHEAP OUT ON THE LENSES. Ive seen to many pple buy lovely cameras and ruin them with budget low quality lenses

The shutter speed is purely down to the lens that you have on the camera - the better the lens the more light will come through and the faster the shutter will be.

One of the best sites on the net for camera specs and comparisons is http://www.dpreview.com
These guys know thier stuff and test every slr on the market so its a ggood site to vist when you want to compare cameras.
The big thing to be careful of is judgeging a camera by its pical rating - sometimes less is more there are some high pixal SLR's on the market that cant deliver the picture quality because the pixals are to small (mostly Panasonic and Olympus)

I might be spouting the obvious there but thats where i would start.
And I finally spent some money! I've bought a Canon EOS 450D, with standard and 60-300 lense (IIRC).

Dead happy, much better than my 5MP 0.3fps S5000 Fuji, with this one doing 12MP 3.5fps! :thumbup: I'll post up some images once I get the hang of all the functions. :)
And I finally spent some money! I've bought a Canon EOS 450D, with standard and 60-300 lense (IIRC).

Dead happy, much better than my 5MP 0.3fps S5000 Fuji, with this one doing 12MP 3.5fps! :thumbup: I'll post up some images once I get the hang of all the functions. :)

No more "Fuji Moments" for you Stephen? :P

I've still my old Fujifilm Finepix camera, it's only 4 mega pixels and is 4 years old but it does get some pretty good pictures. :)

I've still my old Fujifilm Finepix camera, it's only 4 mega pixels and is 4 years old but it does get some pretty good pictures. :)

Yeah, I'm likely to keep my Fuji - it was just embarrassing stood at Silverstone testing, taking a photo and landing up with blank tarmac. It was shutter speed that was my issue - not that I would ever blame my tools! :hehe:

Yeah, I'm likely to keep my Fuji - it was just embarrassing stood at Silverstone testing, taking a photo and landing up with blank tarmac. It was shutter speed that was my issue - not that I would ever blame my tools! :hehe:

I'm not serious enough to consider an slr atm. Got a couple of Fujis (S6500fd and F50fd) and know the problem of shutter lag. I had a litle samsung with an optical viewfinder that zoomed with the camera lens meaning I could follow a subject while waiting for the picture to be taken. It was stolen while on holiday though and I couldn't find another camera I liked with an optical viewfinder so settled for the F50fd for a pocket camera and the lag's still there but not too bad on it.
I now have a Nikon D300, but have had a D2H and D50 in the past. The D2H is a wonderful camera for speed. OK, the D300 focuses faster a little, but @ 8fps the D2H is an awesome speed machine. It's 4MPs go a long way, but as I shoot landscapes more than action I sold it for the D300 and although I miss the body and build of the D2H (grip especially) as well as the built in mic, the D300 is better in every other way. If I was shooting as a profession I would definitely use a "pro" body with the built in grip - A D3 would compliment the D300 just right :D.

Lens wise I have a Nikon 18-70, Sigma 12-24, sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro and a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8.

I have a gallery online @ http://gallery.fwgx.co.uk

See our F1 related articles too!