FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss equipment & technique - show-off your photography here!
I just noticed there a few photographers around here so what kind of gear do you use?

I have a Nikon D70s with 18-70mm, 70-300mm and 60mm lens's
I also have a Canon 300d that i use on my telescope back in NZ
All digital, i dont like working with film anymore i find its to damn expensive in the long run
I dont own a SLR myself but like ive said in another thread in my studies i have used a Canon 400D
im still coming to terms with all the lingo and the goings on of photography but i really like it, i also have had some fun with photograms in the dark room and pinhole camera's!

i hope to have purchased a SLR in time for the Melbourne GP next year so i can take some decent shots for a change

oh has anyone tried to create a cemera obscura? i only seen it on a video but it looks like a cool party trick :thumbup:
I'm using a four year old...(this has Darwin excited already)...Fuji S5000.

The camera is adequate for holiday photography, but trying to capture anything moving at speed is a right pain. The time between pressing the button and it recording the image is actually around a second, maybe slightly more. This means I have a unique collection of front wings, rear tyres, and empty tarmac. However, one in five shots do tend to come out reasonably well (as can be seen here). I press the button, the screen goes blank, I pan by sight, and hope for the best! :banghead:

I'm now looking to purchase something a bit more fancy, but haven't decided on a camera as of yet.

The camera is adequate for holiday photography, but trying to capture anything moving at speed is a right pain. The time between pressing the button and it recording the image is actually around a second, maybe slightly more. This means I have a unique collection of front wings, rear tyres, and empty tarmac. However, one in five shots do tend to come out reasonably well (as can be seen here). I press the button, the screen goes blank, I pan by sight, and hope for the best! :banghead:

I'm now looking to purchase something a bit more fancy, but haven't decided on a camera as of yet.

have you tried doing the 'half press' to focus the camera before you take the photo?? sometimes a lot of the time it takes to take a shot is the camera trying to focus and take the photo at the same time

Btw guys ive spent the last 3 years advising pro's and semi pro's on digital cameras and lenses so if you want any advice on slr bodies/ lenses or even on compact stills im still up to speed on whats what

have you tried doing the 'half press' to focus the camera before you take the photo?? sometimes a lot of the time it takes to take a shot is the camera trying to focus and take the photo at the same time

Yup, takes a good five seconds sometimes if I forget! :yikes:

Btw guys ive spent the last 3 years advising pro's and semi pro's on digital cameras and lenses so if you want any advice on slr bodies/ lenses or even on compact stills im still up to speed on whats what

Right then, I'm looking for something digital with a short capture rate (is there a term for that - I know it's different from shutter speed), ability to change lenses, mount on tripod, take multiple pictures quickly - basically, if we get press accreditation for Forumula1.com again - I want something versatile at both close and long range. Your thoughts before I phone the bank manager (again)? :)
for fast moving objects you need to adjust the shutter and aperture but the shutter speed is the most important one. you need that to stay open for a very short time.

Ta, but what's the name of the delay on crap digital cameras where you press the button and then it messes around before taking a picture?
im not 100% sure but i woulndt waste time taking pics with a point and shoot digi camera anymore. i have had enough of them all i get is blurry pics

im going to be getting an SLR with a 50mm lens for next years GP even though it will be bigger and more carryon atleast you can adjust things yourself and get good shots of the cars at speed!
im not 100% sure but i woulndt waste time taking pics with a point and shoot digi camera anymore. i have had enough of them all i get is blurry pics

im going to be getting an SLR with a 50mm lens for next years GP even though it will be bigger and more carryon atleast you can adjust things yourself and get good shots of the cars at speed!

SLR digital ya?

SLR digital ya?

yeah mate digital SLR, unless youre a purist :hehe:

they are expensive but you can get decent packages for around the 700 to 1000 aussie dollar mark and ofcourse you can go higher

here is the one i use at collage http://www.trustedreviews.com/digital-c ... OS-400D/p1

has the price in pounds on that review :thumbup: but yeah i think Kiwi chris or walker can give more info than myself :wink:
I used to use a Nikon D50 with 18-65mm and have moved to a D200 with an 18-55mm and I borrow my friend's 75-300mm sometimes :)

Here are some pics that I've taken :D

I have tons more of stuff like that, but I'll stick to automotive in case no one is interested in anything else :P

*if pics are too large just let me know and I will re-size. Sorry for you 56k users >.<

See our F1 related articles too!