FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Dedicated to technical discussion...
By Mikep99
I suppose today we would think - What the hell were they thinking of :shock: Back then I think they though they were worth a try. You just never know :wink:

By madbrad
They worked well for the regs in place at the time. Might look odd today but those guys were answering a need just like they do now. The fan car was a blinding success so I don't think I'd ask what they were thinking.
I expected this thread to have stuff like the 6 wheeled Tyrrells and the 4WD cars.
Haha, nice stuff there. Do Buttons dumbo wings deserve a place in among that lot?
By Mikep99
Has anyone ever seen any of these before ?
Just found a great site with all the wired and wonderful over the years.
Below are only a few of the 70 or so others on the site, its worth a look.

Weird, ugly, unseen, rare and bizarre experiments!
This section contains all kinds of weird and bizarre experiments! Some of them useful, but most of them proved to be useless!
There are pictures of experimental wings, sixwheelers, goofy devices, etc. Enjoy!

http://users.pandora.be/aerogi/Racing/Weird/Weird.htm Thumbnails on left.

Also here is a webpage with the changing colours of the teams over the years.

Changing colours...
Over the years there have been many F1 cars and teams that for various reasons changed the colourscheme on their cars.

http://users.pandora.be/aerogi/Racing/Other%20pictures/Other_htm/Other_10.htm
They worked well for the regs in place at the time. Might look odd today but those guys were answering a need just like they do now. The fan car was a blinding success so I don't think I'd ask what they were thinking.
I expected this thread to have stuff like the 6 wheeled Tyrrells and the 4WD cars.

Equally:
Tyrrell remained a force throughout the 1970s, winning races with Jody Scheckter and Patrick Depailler. Most notable of these was Scheckter's triumph at the 1976 Swedish Grand Prix, giving Tyrrell a 1-2 finish driving the distinctive Derek Gardner designed Tyrrell P34 car. The P34 was the first (and only) successful six-wheeler F1 car, which replaced the conventional front wheels with smaller wheels mounted in banks of two on either side of the car. The design was abandoned after Goodyear refused to develop the small tyres needed for the car as they were too busy fighting the other tyre manufacturers in Formula One.
By texasmr2
The new generation of F1 fan's have NO appreciation for F1 history and innovation anymore it seem's and frankly it's a very sad and disturbing state of affair's. :cry:
By texasmr2
Someone shared these pics of the 6 wheel concept, I did not realize so many tried it yet it was a few years before I started following F1, hope yall enjoy.

March did it purely for traction...
formula-one-6-wheel-cars-6491_5.jpg

is-br77.jpg

Williams did it because they could run smaller rear tires and get the same traction. The smaller rear tires allowed their ground effect skirts to be extended all the way to the back of the car, maximizing the advantage the air manipulation gave them. When the FIA heard about that the ban hammer came down quick. Aswell yes the car is 4wd :eek:
Jonathan_Palmer_Williams_FW08_6_wheeler.jpg

Even Ferrari gave it a try.Image

Now a few of the Tyrrell taken at the 2010 Monterey Historics :thumbup: !Image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Fluffy
The Brabham fan car has a 100% win record.

It only raced once, it won and was banned the following race.
By texasmr2
More Tyrrell pics and this one sits on a rotating platform :thumbup: .

_12092008-040520.jpg

_12092008-040354.jpg

_12092008-040424.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By MattMK45
That green benetton looks awesome! And that Brabham fan literally blew everyone away!!! Until it was banned.
Derek Gardner, Pioneering Tyrell P34 Designer, dies

The 8-wheeled Ferrari 312T8, BTW, was a fraud. The photo was faked by the Scuderia to mislead the competition. But the 312T6 was real. Lauda and Regazzoni liked it well enough but Carlos Reutemann found it quite unstable. He wadded it while testing at Fiorano. The rebuild was halted and the project scrapped after Lauda's Nürburging incident.

Goodyear developed an interest in the 312T6 because the dualed tyres proved unusually resistant to aquaplaning, even with slicks. But when they added tread, the tyres were brilliant.

The tread design that proved most promising used sipes that ran diagonally from the inner shoulder to the outer sidewall, each tyre of the pair's tread mirroring the other. But the dual wheels limited its market potential so Goodyear tried using the same mirror-image diagonal sipes on a single tyre with a pronounced central groove. It worked so well that the new tyre was debuted as their wet weather offering at the Monaco GP in 1983. Because of the tread's unusual appearance, it was dubbed the "gatorback."

The Gatorback revolutionized tyre design. It was the Alpha of a whole new era in wet weather rubber. Everybody who's anybody in tyre manufacture today builds a tyre that is an imitation of the gatorback. The depth of the central groove varies according to the tyre's performance bent but what remains are the iconic diagonal sipes.

A set of F1-spec Goodyear Eagle "Gatorback" wet tyres

A Goodyear Aquatred street tyre

An F1-spec Bridgestone intermediate wet tyre

Notice the family resemblance?

A certain Michael Schumacher found Goodyear's gatorbacks to be so effective in the wet, he once opted to run on just three of them.

So the Tyrrell P34 was the uncaused first cause leading to the development of the diagonally-treaded rain tyre. The butterfly effect comes to life.

Godspeed, Mr. Gardner, and thank you.

See our F1 related articles too!