FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Will this pairing be as compelling as Senna vs Prost?

Yes, it already is
13%
No, Senna and Prost were mythical beings in a duel that can never be bettered
6%
It is the biggest actual duel we have had since and could develop that way
75%
I would rather have 1 driver in the best car without competition from his teammate
6%
I am only interested if there is a lead driver from each team with near spec cars all challenging every week for the win (this has never happened before)
No votes
0%
Those pre-podium room segments are quite telling. Even though he's on camera this isn't the public Nico - he doesn't hide his feelings very well, and clearly isn't happy how things are panning out. Lewis seems relatively unphased. There's that part in 'Senna' where he and Prost are feet apart in the garage but pretend the other isn't there. It's that vibe - polite exclusion.
Rosberg is a very good driver, but the only way I see him getting the better of Lewis is when something goes wrong for Lewis.

If you look at Bahrain, Nico had fresher higher grip tires and still couldn't make a pass stick. And, if we are going to be honest about it, if it wasn't for the safety car, that race would have been a borefest as well with daylight between Lewis and Nico.

There is absolutely no disrespect to Nico, he could well be in the top 5 drivers on the grid, but IMO he isn't in Lewis's class.
It begs the question, what would have Alonso or Lewis done in a 2011 or 2013 Red Bull.

Either would have won more races IMO :yes:
It begs the question, what would have Alonso or Lewis done in a 2011 or 2013 Red Bull.

Either would have won more races IMO :yes:

And the closest we'd get to a modern Senna Prost comparison is those two guys sitting in a car with the same livery. Rosberg is a good driver, he's also clearly good enough to be a WDC with the car he's got under him. No different than Button's 2009 season. His only misfortune is having Lewis as a team mate.
A few more thoughts on this compelling topic.

Firstly on the battle between Rosberg and Lewis. I've decided it probably isn't going to be such an epic one, and I'll give my reasons shortly. But firstly, I want to say I still think highly of Nico and rate him highly too. As a driver and person. But from the first four races I see Lewis as having a clear edge.Why?.....

He's beaten him in all but the Bahrain quali.....which he corrected immediately.
His advantage in time is quite significant, not marginal.
He held him back for ten laps despite being on the slower tyre.
He conserves fuel better.
He seems better on tyres.
He looks as though he has time in hand, Rosberg sometimes looks ragged trying to stay on terms.

Perhaps Lewis has been flattered by the large amount of wet running? But I think Rosberg is flattered by the superiority of that Mercedes car, and that superiority may hinder Lewis in his championship bid. The reason being, it is preventing other drivers getting between the two Merc drivers, so despite being 10 or so seconds slower than Lewis, Rosberg still gets second place, which puts Lewis at the mercy of DNF's and the double points idiocy. If that margin of superiority were cut by half, Lewis would still win comfortably but Rosberg may not always hold on to second. Lewis needs more drivers up there.

@Thetruth . I agreed with much of your post , except the bit about Seb being in the other Merc to give Lewis a run. I think Seb would struggle in that other Merc. It doesn't have the downforce he's used to, reportedly less than the current Red Bull car. So all that extra power may not be helpful to Seb. He needs a planted rear.

If Alonso were in that other Merc then I think we would see a Battle royal the like of Senna and Prost. I know Lewis beat Alonso in his rookie year, but they've both improved and matured since then... Lewis more so I think because he started from a lower starting point. Younger, rookie v older two time world champion. But I think that time round Alonso wasn't prepared for Lewis' speed,he expected to master him easily and it shook him when he couldn't do it. This time he knows what he's dealing with.

Finally. Much is frequently written about Lewis can't save tyres, can't save fuel, can't think through a race, isn't strategic. Well I'd say he's learnt to do all that and proved that he can. What can't be learnt is insane talent and feel for the car which he has in bucket loads. I'd say an ominous warning to competitors is Lewis' comment that this car feels like his second skin. He is so in tune with this car.
Feel is the right word RC... it's exactly "feel" that Vettel is claiming he doesn't have with the RB10. But it's not a car that's responsible for giving you that feel. The car just IS. It's the driver, the seat of the pants that is responsible for that feel.

Over the last few years, there's been a laundry list of Lewis can't... (insert whatever here) He's proven all of that wrong. I wonder if we'll ever hear a single commentator mention that Vettel can't feel a car as well as others on the grid. Clearly he can't feel the RB10 as well as Ricciardo.

Lewis is in the position that Ross brought him to Mercedes for. He's in the position than Ross assured him he'd be in. This is his year, 10 races is a 70 point gap, and I'm expecting Lewis to come out on top in every GP against his teammate that he doesn't suffer a mechanical issue in. I think Rosberg would be a worthy champion and I would support him wholeheartedly if he were to win, but I don't believe that he can win against Lewis unless there are a number of mechanical issues that affect his teammate while sparing him.
Some insight and points of view over at Lewis' web site.
I'm feeling great heading into the Chinese Grand Prix this weekend.

Winning in Bahrain earlier this month, after such a close fight with my Mercedes team-mate Nico Rosberg, was fantastic, but the confidence has been there all season.

Bahrain was special because you don't get to show what you really can do very often.

Sometimes circumstances don't allow you to, sometimes things don't come off the way you hoped.

But I really feel that I was able to be at my best and just ride that wave. It felt incredible. It was an experience you only get every so often.

There are ways I can make my car better and ways I can improve my racecraft. But my goal is to keep improving.
Racing your team-mate

Here in China, a lot of people still want to know what it was like to be involved in such a close battle with my team-mate in Bahrain.

You have to be aware that if you have a collision, you risk taking both cars out, which would not go down well with the team.

But your approach doesn't change that much. You don't ever want to damage your car and you don't ever want to push someone off the track.

When you're fighting someone from another team, you're perhaps less obliged to give them space.

When it's your team-mate, you maybe have to give them a bit more room. But it is only the tiniest of differences.

I've always made sure I race hard but fair. You don't want to get penalties. It's also about respect, which is very important in those circumstances.
A racing insight

When you are racing in those sort of situations, there is a secret language that only us drivers know.

It's hard to explain, but it is to do with your rival's behaviour towards you on the track and vice versa. It's like body language, but from the car.

For example, there will be drivers who you can tell are not good racers. They're maybe a little bit crazy out on the circuit.

Others, however, will really know where to put their car and you can see are making calculated decisions.

Then there are specific moves that drivers do that really make a statement.

Take the 2007 Belgian Grand Prix, when I was team-mates at McLaren with Fernando Alonso.

On the exit of Turn One at the start of the race, I was on his outside and he drove towards the wall, leaving me no space. If I hadn't reacted, we would have crashed.

That's very aggressive body language. That's basically saying: "Eff off."

Drivers use this kind of body language to stamp their authority on a situation and show they are not scared of someone. Usually, though, you don't use that language towards your team-mate.

If you watched the race in Bahrain, you may have heard Nico come on the radio at one point and say he felt I had done something that was "not on".

He perceived that I was using the kind of language I've just talked about, but that wasn't what I was doing.

Let me explain.

Nico was referring to a moment just before our first pit stops when he had gone to the outside in Turn One, a right-hander, only for me to come across to claim the line into Turn Two, a left-hander.

If I hadn't taken up the space he was trying to go into, he would have been on my inside going into Turn Two, which would have meant I would have been forced to leave a car's width between us or risk colliding.

Had I not done what I did, it would have put Nico in a position going into the next corner that I was trying to avoid him taking. It would have compromised me.

If I had not taken up that space, which was right in front of him, and given him the acceleration out of the corner, he would have slotted in right behind me and probably got past into Turn Four.

I knew that, so I had to get ahead of him. I ended up getting a better exit, so he wasn't able to get by.

We discussed the incident on Thursday evening in China while we were reviewing the entire Bahrain race.

We do this ahead of every race weekend, so it's no big deal. It's normal.

It's good for everyone to give their views and move on. Nico and I have known each other for a long, long time. Everything's cool between us.
A special race

My defending had to be precise because any slip-up would have allowed Nico past. He was driving very well and was very strong. If I had made a small mistake, he would have capitalised on it.

I couldn't show any weakness at all. That's really why it was such a special race, because we were both very strong.

It's nice to have come out on top, but every race is different.

Those moves I pulled in Bahrain might not work in future because Nico will know all about them. Now I have to shake it up and use other techniques.

But I've been racing with and against him for so long that I feel like I've got enough in my bag.
Excellent read WB! Thanks for that.
If you look at Bahrain, Nico had fresher higher grip tires and still couldn't make a pass stick. And, if we are going to be honest about it, if it wasn't for the safety car, that race would have been a borefest as well with daylight between Lewis and Nico.

I totally disagree. You always seem to be passing safety car jibes about that race, and I'm not sure why. All you have to do is watch a quick replay of the event, and you'll find that Lewis and Nico were battling for the lead well before the safety car ever came out.

Furthermore, given the tyre difference, Nico would still likely have caught Lewis up by the end.

The race was already a fantastic spectacle BEFORE the safety came out, and to be honest, I was disappointed when it did, as I expected Nico to take the lead right away. In the end, it didn't happen, and we were treated to more of what we enjoyed BEFORE the safety car.
Last edited by LewEngBridewell on 22 Apr 14, 22:38, edited 1 time in total.
--
@Thetruth . I agreed with much of your post , except the bit about Seb being in the other Merc to give Lewis a run. I think Seb would struggle in that other Merc.

:wink:

Oh well, if Seb gets crushed.... :D

I'm sure I'll have more to say later. hehe
--
--
@Thetruth . I agreed with much of your post , except the bit about Seb being in the other Merc to give Lewis a run. I think Seb would struggle in that other Merc.

--

Well when I say 'struggle' it's all relative of course. Probably still score a shed load of points in that Merc beast. But I don't think he'd trouble our Lewis. Just my view :)
--

--

Well when I say 'struggle' it's all relative of course. Probably still score a shed load of points in that Merc beast. But I don't think he'd trouble our Lewis. Just my view :)

I think he would have scored just as many points as Rosberg. :D

See our F1 related articles too!