FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Will Vodaphone McLaren Mercedes get on the podium in 2013?

yes
7%
no
93%
So as we all know, they're in danger of having to go through their only season without a podium since 1980! This being their 50th year in the sport only adds insult to injury. But there's hope. They've clearly had a resurgence of late with much improved race pace and Perez able to put the car into a solid fifth place, Perhaps Button could have bettered that? We'll never know. Weather is unlikely to be a factor in both Abu Dhabi and Austin, but Brazil may throw everything upside down in the circuit's history.

Anyway, simple poll question.
Now, as we all know, I'm a McLaren fan, but I really can't see them scoring a podium with just 3 more races left.

They certainly have improved though, and I am simply hoping they can rediscover the form one would expect from McLaren, next season.
Well they might. Today was a huge improvement.....by Perez. It depends how much 'behind the scenes' work button does to slow him down. I'd LOVE to see Perez get on the podium. It's a big ask, and kind of depends what happens to the faster cars. Today was a weird mix up. Not sure what to vote, I'll have a think!

EDIT: I've had a think ......and I don't think they will :(
Don't think so sadly. Perez had a mighty race today, yet still could only drag the car to 5th, and that was with bad luck taking both Alonso and Webber out of the equation. Much as I would like to see them make it onto the podium, naturally ahead of them (unless horrendously bad strategy is used) are:

Vettel, Webber, Alonso, Hamilton, Rosberg, Raikkonen, Grosjean, and on his day - Massa.

So in other words, something needs to happen to SIX of those eight drivers for McLaren to make it onto the third step, let alone higher up. I just can't see it this season. Improved - yes, but as high as the podium with as few races left to go? An almost certain no.
Last edited by zurich_allan on 27 Oct 13, 19:44, edited 1 time in total.
No one said yes though!I don't think so either,they'd better be started to work on 2014's car already after mid season tbh.surely we can see some improvement but this just isn't enough for podium and the name of McLaren
A crazy race in Brazil with lots of rain, and PEREZ to grab a WIN for McLaren, that would be sweet.
Getting a podium would make everyone look foolish.

No it wouldn't.

It would mean that either they've taken a massive leap forward, or that at least two of the front teams have done something horribly wrong. As neither of those are realistically probable given that no team is bringing any big updates at this point in the season, McLaren would have caught everybody by surprise.

Either way, nobody would look foolish by predicting no podium going on the evidence almost a full season of underperforming.
If they're running in 5th place like India, all it would take is a collision in positions 1-3 to get them a podium. It's not that far-fetched. And who knows where jenson would have been if not for his puncture. Probably not a podium, but maybe close.
If they're running in 5th place like India, all it would take is a collision in positions 1-3 to get them a podium. It's not that far-fetched. And who knows where jenson would have been if not for his puncture. Probably not a podium, but maybe close.

Nope. Again - they were only in 5th, after a blinding drive due to:

1. Webber's retirement; and;
2. Lotus / Kimi being on a gambling strategy that didn't pay off.

So again - you're looking for 4 or 5 of the drivers from the current fastest teams to have similar bad luck or incidents, not only 3. You know a team isn't currently podium material when they have to drive a blinder and still only get to 5th due to the poor fortune of others that were in front. So yes - it is still far fetched. I would really love them to get that podium, but it's just not realistic without a large number of unpredictable incidents / poor reliability, more so than anything we've seen in the entire season to date. Not to say it's impossible - of course not - but highly unlikely.
Only hope is for a bizarre rain/dry/rain/dry extravaganza with red flags and safety cars, in which case Button is a sure thing as long as he can personally take out Hamilton and Alonso in crashes, and scare Vettel off the road. Naaaaaaaaahhhhh never happen! :microwave:

See our F1 related articles too!