FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Dedicated to technical discussion...
By bud
The FIA Institute has recently conducted tests to find out what happens when you fire a Formula One wheel and tyre into a jet fighter canopy at 225km/h - and these pictures show the results.

For some months now, the Institute’s technical advisor Andy Mellor and his colleagues have been investigating the possible benefits - and drawbacks - of adding some form of additional protection to the open-cockpit area of F1 cars.

Their research was prompted by the Formula One Technical Working Group (TWG) following the accident suffered by Felipe Massa at the 2009 Hungarian Grand Prix, when his helmet was struck by a spring that had fallen from the Brawn car of Rubens Barrichello, running slightly ahead on the track.

The aim of the test shown here was simple: to launch a Formula One wheel and tyre, together weighing 20kg, at 225km/h into a canopy made from aerospace-spec polycarbonate, and measure what happens, with all close-up observations being recorded by strategically positioned high-speed film cameras.

The cannon used for the test - from a company whose main business is providing stunt equipment to the film industry - features a 1200 psi compressed nitrogen cylinder capable of accelerating a piston (and wheel) to 225km/h in just two metres - a thrust average of 100g in less than a tenth of a second.

However, for the test to replicate the effect of a free-flying wheel assembly hitting a canopy - as it could in a real-world incident on-track - the wheel had to be free of the piston by the time it struck the windshield.

It’s at this point that another strand of already-proven F1 safety science came into play. Before it was inserted into the barrel, the piston was attached to four F1-spec wheel tethers, each designed to absorb more than 6kj of energy. They came into effect at exactly the two-metre mark from the piston’s point of exit from the cannon barrel.

The result of all the science and engineering was to allow the wheel and tyre 500mm of free flight between leaving the piston as it was slowed by tethers, and impacting the canopy.

An executive summary reported that the canopy deflected the wheel assembly suffering no permanent deformation. And viewing the canopy impact in slow motion showed it flexing to absorb impact energy, before ‘launching’ the wheel and tyre away.

“There were tyre transfer marks on the canopy, but there was no apparent fracture,” explains Mellor. “It shows that it’s quite an elastic material and that it’s very efficient at providing a load path to keep the wheel and tyre away.”

It is reassuring to learn that the canopy is highly impact-resistant, but not entirely surprising: it’s manufactured by an aerospace firm and is exactly the same model as fitted to an F-16 Fighter jet.

Full scientific results have now been presented to the Formula One Technical Working Group. What happens next will depend on the reaction of the FIA and the TWG to Mellor’s findings.

Any debate on implementation of cockpit canopies would have to take account of a number of known negatives, such as visibility, optical quality, ventilation, cleaning, access and emergency egress.

“We’re not looking at any of these things at the moment,” says Mellor. “This test was purely to look into the mechanical safety effect. Now that we have data on that, we can move towards a decision on what’s next.”

the aero guys would like this I am sure, but Im not sure on it, its apart of open wheel racing having an open cockpit.
By LewEngBridewell
GRAND PRIX aces have given the thumbs down to proposals to fit F1 cars with F16 fighter-style safety canopies.

The sport’s governing body has been considering poly-carbonate screens to provide added protection following Felipe Massa’s near fatal smash with a flying suspension spring in Hungary nearly two years ago.

But drivers fear the device could prevent escape in the event of a car overturning or catching fire, with spectators at danger from flying debris ricocheting off the screens.

Source:The Mirror, via the BBC

Just something I found linked up the BBC F1's rumours page. Crappy tabloid article with no sources to back up its claims, but it's on the subject nonetheless.
By andrew
When would this have been of use anyway? It may have prevented Massa from being injured but before that I can't remember when a cockpit cover would have been of any use.
By bud
When would this have been of use anyway? It may have prevented Massa from being injured but before that I can't remember when a cockpit cover would have been of any use.

There was the guy that ran over a marshal but this was in the 70s, this would have prevented his death. But yeah recently the only thing apart from Massa was involving DC and forget who in Australia a few years back, the car got airborne and just missed DCs head.

Apart from the safety measures it would make an improvement on aero side of things. But then there would need to be a similar device to an ejection in a fighter for the canapoy to fly away incase of an emergency so the driver can get out of the car.
By Denthúl
There was the guy that ran over a marshal but this was in the 70s, this would have prevented his death. But yeah recently the only thing apart from Massa was involving DC and forget who in Australia a few years back, the car got airborne and just missed DCs head.

In F1, perhaps, but remember that around the time of Massa's accident we had Henry Surtees struck by a rogue wheel at Brands Hatch; something which could have been avoided by a canopy. Does that mean canopies are the right way to go? Not sure. Fire could cause serious issues in that case, as could being able to give first aid immediately.
By bud
Yes of course, the Surtees incident happened around then too. I think the biggest fear for an F1 driver is getting hit by a loose wheel, which the wheel tethers are meant to stop from going lose in a accident. Though I swear in some crashes you see the tethers failing. But as what happened with Massa even a small component can cause a lot of damage at speed.
By vaptin
Was also a close all in Abu Dhabi 2010, with Schumacher and either Luizzi or Sutil, car ran up and just missed Shooeys head.
Article: http://www.formula1.com/news/features/2011/7/12314.html

[Video]: http://vimeo.com/26098946

“We’re not looking at any of these things at the moment,” says Mellor. “This test was purely to look into the mechanical safety effect. Now that we have data on that, we can move towards a decision on what’s next.”

Pretty impressive video, I suppose I would not really care either way, I think it would make for some damn slippery cars to be able to slide through the air. best not change to anything like this until Newey is gone :hehe:
By killem2
There was also some races when I was going through the 1994 season after Senna died, and there was someone in some car (sorry I didn't think to remember it for later use) that flipped over and his head and cockpit dug into the ground. Not gravel, or sand, DIRT. and he walked away, but it was on a starting lap from teh grid so it wasn't reallly high speed but if it was.

Not to mention I would have to say Senna would be telling us old "gran-pappy-back-in-my-day" stories for the next 20 years from now if he had a co.c.k (seriously censors for the lose here) pit, and that alone, is enough for me to get behind this. :thumbup:
By LewEngBridewell
There was of course the 1960 Belgian Grand Prix at Spa, when British racer Alan Stacey was hit in the face by a bird on lap 25. He died in the resulting crash.

This came immediately after Chris Bristow was decapitated when his car rolled over in almost the same place as the accident described above.

So, there's been a few deaths that this cover thing could have prevented too......
By geetface9
I don't think having a full blown cockpit is the way to go. Maybe have something like a normal cockpit but put it on the chassis above the steering wheel and driver's feet but don't make it cover their head, that way it can still deflect loose tires/objects coming straight on but the driver can still just hop out if the car is on fire or something so we never have to worry about a cockpit getting stuck closed
By Bounce
The escape/access issue can be resolved in the same way that fast jets has done it. With Miniature Detonating Cord (MDC).

There are two ways of setting it off in a fast jet. An internal handle (for the driver) and an external handle (for the marshals(or ground crew for aircraft)).

When the MDC is set of, it shatters the canopy.

See our F1 related articles too!