FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Dedicated to technical discussion...
By MattMK45
Say if a driver found they were off the pace compared to the rest of the field due to lack of downforce in a high down-force setting or too much in a low downforce setting, would they be allowed to change to their front wing that has been set up by the team to counter the problem?

I guess you would have to be pretty ahead of yourselves to have a front wing set up for a different amount of downforce for this to occur, but let's just say that was the situation would they be allowed to replace the front wing?
By scotty
I think it's an extremely unlikely situation in the first place. Either way, they can just change the front wing angle during a pit stop without having to fit a brand new wing. It's pretty common to see teams do this in pit stops to fine tune the balance, especially if it's a wet-dry race and the track conditions are changing.
By MattMK45
Ah yer I thought that might be the case I mean it would be weird unless they expected a race to turn wet so they had a wet front wing setup in the garage just in case. I didn't know the team could change the angle of the wing in the pitstop, interesting!
By texasmr2
I'm having an information overload concerning the adjustable front wings, they are still allowed in 2011?
By scotty
Ah yer I thought that might be the case I mean it would be weird unless they expected a race to turn wet so they had a wet front wing setup in the garage just in case. I didn't know the team could change the angle of the wing in the pitstop, interesting!

The commentators sometimes pick up on it, usually saying something about a mechanic 'making a couple of turns of the front wing'.

I'm having an information overload concerning the adjustable front wings, they are still allowed in 2011?

Nope!
By texasmr2

Nope!

Irrelevant thread then right? :yes:
By scotty

Nope!

No... :confused:
By texasmr2

Nope!

No... :confused:

Since the adjustable front wing is banned in 2011 and the 2010 season has past I'm having trouble understanding why it's relevant now? No malintent meant just curious.
By scotty
Ah right, we're talking about manual wing adjustments to change the wing angle permanently (ie, done by engineers as opposed to by the driver via a switch)... if you see.
By texasmr2
Ah right, we're talking about manual wing adjustments to change the wing angle permanently (ie, done by engineers as opposed to by the driver via a switch)... if you see.

The 'they' part was what I found a tad misleading but I now see what MattMK45 was asking, my bad please carry on :) .

See our F1 related articles too!