FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For computing and gaming discussion (incl. batracer)
By Jamie
I'm looking @ the best databases to use, what are peoples thoughts on mySQL? It is either that or Linux, but mySQL comes with a certain package i am buying.

Opinions please?
By Denthúl
MySQL is a database language/system, Linux is an operating system :P

What exactly will you be using the database for? Generally, MySQL is pretty good, though there's nothing wrong with PostgreSQL either. I've never used Microsoft's SQL implementation outside of SIMS.net, but I haven't seen any problems with that, either. In the end, they're all just various implementations of SQL, so the differences aren't so much in what they can do, but how you go about doing it with them.
By myownalias
M$SQL is generally better for larger scale databases but I have always used mySQL and not had a single issue with it. Linux hosting will come with mySQL, Apache & PHP by default and offer better value than Microsoft based hosting packages. I wouldn't bother with M$SQL or Microsoft based packages as you are paying extra for no extra benefits.
By Jamie
Just to store data and to keep tabs on stock levels.

My current employer uses it, good database. But the internet site designer uses it (mySQL) But Unix is a good system.

See our F1 related articles too!