FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Dedicated to technical discussion...
By scotty
Now, i read that they were going to be a lot slimmer next season - however, i can't seem to really find out much more info about this supposed rule change, is it definitely going ahead?

You would think that more attention would be given to a rule change that would have such a massive effect on many aspects of both the cars themselves and (arguably) the racing!

:scratchchin:
By 7UpJordan
I think this rule change was decided upon right at the start of the year. So much has gone on since then it's probably gone to the back of the teams' minds.
By cap-dude
Yes, it's definite that is going to happen. It's just not been a big headline hitter, so no one really took notice. But bridgestone have confirmed it.
By EwanM
Yep this caught my attention a few months ago.
According to Gary Anderson it may actually be a negative thing.
By Jabberwocky
hmm, more under steer less front end mechanical grip for when following another car. sounds like another good call by the powers that be
By McLaren Fan
It's an awful decision, but it's probably too late to reverse it (not that the FIA have that planned), as the teams will have their 2010 car designs well under way.
By bud
you guys arent thinking about the aero impact a slimmer front wheel might make. It might help with downforce and slip streaming.
By texasmr2
you guys arent thinking about the aero impact a slimmer front wheel might make. It might help with downforce and slip streaming.

Very true bud yet it is a "give and take" situation which I'm sure you realize, ie the amount of rubber on the ground depict's the amount of grip. So what direction will the FIA take, aero grip or mechanical grip or, and hopefully, a compromise between the two can be achieved for a win/win alternative!!!

I know you understand the difference between the two so that is why I ask your opinion :wink: .
By bud
yeah i am only guessing here, but most open wheeler series have slimmer front wheels compared to big fat rear wheels. And the tyres being the biggest downfall in the aero of any open wheeler car, having a smaller fingerprint at the front will help with the air flow of the whole car. I think anyways, i could be wrong.
By cap-dude
As far as I know, the reason the front tyre is being slimmed is because there is actually too much grip at the front. It's suppose to offer a much more balanced tyre this way. Not sure if thats right, not sure on details really, but I figured teams were all unanimous this was a good thing.

Might be more to do with the large front wings and skinny rear wings, and there being more downforce on the front end. Again, not 100% sure if thats the story.
By Denthúl
It's an awful decision, but it's probably too late to reverse it (not that the FIA have that planned), as the teams will have their 2010 car designs well under way.

We started hearing rumours of this change very early on in the season, so I would imagine all teams have a solution for the slimmer tyres and it was most likely factored in to their designs in the first place.
By Jabberwocky
would the width of the front wheels really make that much difference, I would like to see what sort of difference there is.

how much narrower are they?
By bud

We started hearing rumours of this change very early on in the season, so I would imagine all teams have a solution for the slimmer tyres and it was most likely factored in to their designs in the first place.

Ross Brawn recently said its not a massive change.
By scotty
Thanks for the confirmation of this one folks. :)

how much narrower are they?

In Friday practice they said what would change, if i remember rightly the tread is going down from 305mm to 275mm... actually, i'm not 100% there but am pretty sure - it's definitely between 275 and 245mm.

Ross Brawn recently said its not a massive change.

In a lot of ways, no. I have heard that this move was done to improve the balance of the cars following unforseen implications with the change to slicks though.

As for the effect on aero, well, it is supposedly the wheels that create the most problems in that area, these thinner front wheels will slightly improve the aero efficiency at the front, while creating more scope for increasing rear downforce (as it may now be a bit easier for teams to direct the airflow where they want to at the back) - something that might in theory aid the overtaking situation a little, although i doubt it'll work out quite as simply as that.

It's a bit of a shame really, i kinda liked watching these oversteery cars this season. (see if you can find a vid of Sutil in practice at Interlagos, that was great!)

See our F1 related articles too!