FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Dedicated to technical discussion...
By WildWalker
The emphasis this season was to be on Mechanical grip. So the regualations were changed to provide that, less grip from downforce and more grip from the chassis/tyres would promote overtaking.

So, why is the plank still under the car? I don't get it!

WW
By Chris_0648
The purpose of the plank is to ensure a minimum height of the car/protect the expensive floor of the car against damage. That's my understanding anyway
By WildWalker
The purpose of the plank is to ensure a minimum height of the car/protect the expensive floor of the car against damage. That's my understanding anyway

I am sure the ride height of the car can be fixed without a plank. Protection could be an issue, especially when considering cost. But from a mechanical grip point of view, the plank must cause airflow issues under the car, affecting grip?

WW
By scotty
Now i might be wrong here, but the planks were introduced after Senna's death to stop teams running ridiculously low ride heights, thereby preventing so much bottoming out - which was one of the possible explainations given for the cause of Senna's accident.
By scotty
i thought the plank of wood has been the one constant in the Formula since day 1?

Nah, that's why we saw shedloads of sparks coming out from under the cars in the early 90's and before.
By Denthúl

I am sure the ride height of the car can be fixed without a plank. Protection could be an issue, especially when considering cost. But from a mechanical grip point of view, the plank must cause airflow issues under the car, affecting grip?

WW

The purpose of having the skid block is a deterrent. If it wears too much during a race, the driver is disqualified (I do believe that happened to Schumacher once, although if I remember what I read correctly then it was because he slid over a kerb), so they are forced to set the ride height to a safer level.
By darwin dali

WW

The purpose of having the skid block is a deterrent. If it wears too much during a race, the driver is disqualified (I do believe that happened to Schumacher once, although if I remember what I read correctly then it was because he slid over a kerb), so they are forced to set the ride height to a safer level.

Correct: The 'plank' on the floor of the car was first introduced in 1994, to enforce a minimum ride height, wood was the chosen material. The primary purpose of the plank is to show when a car has run too low, which can be seen by wearing on the plank itself. Wood was a good initial choice but the materials soon became more advanced.

Luca Marmorini: "In the past the plank under the car was made of wood, now it is made from a composite material that is very light. The plank of the car touches the ground so it has to be made from something that can be deformed."
By WildWalker
Luca Marmorini: "In the past the plank under the car was made of wood, now it is made from a composite material that is very light. The plank of the car touches the ground so it has to be made from something that can be deformed."

Interesting, I do remember it had something to do with ride height, but I figured with the emphasis being on mechanical grip now, that rule would change, especially with all the extra run off areas now provided at Grand Prix, plus the extra safety features built in to the car.

It just seems so low tech for a high tech sport, can't remember whose car I was watching being winched off the circuit the weekend, but I saw the plank (it was still very much 'plank' coloured) and thought it looked a bit odd :)

WW

See our F1 related articles too!