FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Dedicated to technical discussion...
By darwin dali
So what is everybody thinking of Ferrari's new hole in the nose?

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2008/04/ ... ll-behind/

At least it doesn't look too fugly. And as long as there won't be any giant buggers flying outta there, I'll be fine with it :wink:
In fact I'm a wee bit surprised that nobody else has come up with something like that before?
By bud
the underside of the nose is what i wanna see. that pic is only showing half of the feature!
By darwin dali
the underside of the nose is what i wanna see. that pic is only showing half of the feature!

I don't think the underside is that interesting since the nostril (air intake) is at the very tip of the nose.
By bud

I don't think the underside is that interesting since the nostril (air intake) is at the very tip of the nose.

from what ive read the intake is on the underside of the nosecone, like i said to Tex in the other thread the nosetip vent is on every F1 car
By darwin dali

from what ive read the intake is on the underside of the nosecone, like i said to Tex in the other thread the nosetip vent is on every F1 car

Ok then - anybody got a pic?
By Mikep99

I think there is also some work to the rear wing as well.
By darwin dali
Thanks, great pics.
I guess we'll have to wait for a belly pic until they lift an F2008 out of a gravel trap :wink:
By bud
Thanks, great pics.
I guess we'll have to wait for a belly pic until they lift an F2008 out of a gravel trap :wink:

IF they lift an F2008 out of the gravel. do you have no faith in its reliablity or the drivers skill? :P
By darwin dali
Thanks, great pics.

IF they lift an F2008 out of the gravel. do you have no faith in its reliablity or the drivers skill? :P

No, that was code for 'We'll never get a pic' :P
By madbrad
Those vents are for exhausting the stench from Massa's unbathed feet. The fumes were dissolving the resin in the carbon fiber. Then as they flow over the car, they frighten away the air molecules, removing all aerodynamic drag.

Just give it a bit of time before he needs to pit for a new nosecone and we'll possibly see the bottom. Shouldn't be long.
By darwin dali
F1live: 'However, the nose itself is of interest for purely technical reasons. "The main challenge with this part was its design and manufacture," continues Tombazis, "as we effectively had a part which, by virtue of the slot, has less carbon fibre, less material and yet still had to conform to all the usual FIA crash tests, which it passed successfully. This was a big challenge for the people involved in producing it."

As to the actual purpose of the slot in the nose, the simplest explanation is that it improves air flow around the floor of the car. With a conventional nose, air remains trapped at that point under the floor of the car, whereas the slotted nose allows some of this air to escape, thus allowing the floor to perform more efficiently.'
By stonemonkey
Since they're getting rid of all the little winglets and things (i think) next year, are we going to start seeing the cars full of holes? The Ferrari's already got quite a few.

That latest one looks like an elephants mouth to me, just as well they don't have buttons dumbo ears on it too.

See our F1 related articles too!