FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
didn't they try and make F1 a PPV thing in the UK a while back? And it was a resounding flop. They dropped that the very next season.

I don't remember F1 being pay-per-view at any time; at least post 1992 when I first started watching, I have watched ever season on either the BBC or ITV for free *

* If you can call it free, TV licence n'all!

It was Sky that was offering it, but, to be fair, it was when ITV was also offering it free-2-air.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson ... -view.html,

I really hope not, there aren't regulations against this? What if Murdoch sells the rights to sky for a token amount?

The concorde agreement needs to be resigned, but I think this provides hope at least:
Any potential sale of F1 is complicated by the fact that the FIA has a veto which it can use if it does not approve of the potential buyer - referred to by Mosley as the 'Don King clause'. And where Todt stands on the issue of News Corp is not known.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson ... -view.html
From the NYTimes presses to G-d's ear:

Ecclestone Hints at Exit if Murdoch Snags Formula One-Report
By REUTERS
Published: April 24, 2011 at 10:48 AM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone is ready to quit if Rupert Murdoch's media group succeeds in a bid to take control of the sport, the Sunday Times reported.

Ecclestone, 80, who has previously dismissed the idea of retirement, said in an interview with the newspaper: "I'm old enough to get a pension, so I don't have to get a job. I'd have to be sure the people (who end up owning F1) are people I would like to work with and whether they would want to work with me."

A source familiar with the situation told Reuters last Tuesday that News Corporation had held early talks with Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim and at least one of the sport's big car manufacturers about forming a consortium to acquire control.

Separate sources had previously told Reuters that private equity firm CVC, the current owner, was conducting a strategic review and could sell.

A takeover by News Corp has a clear logic but would face many challenges to secure the backing of the sport's high profile players.
didn't they try and make F1 a PPV thing in the UK a while back? And it was a resounding flop. They dropped that the very next season.

I don't remember F1 being pay-per-view at any time; at least post 1992 when I first started watching, I have watched ever season on either the BBC or ITV for free *

* If you can call it free, TV licence n'all!

It was Sky that was offering it, but, to be fair, it was when ITV was also offering it free-2-air.

I didn't know that, seems kinda silly when it's available on free-to-air TV; it may have extra feature but in reality how many would pay for coverage when they can get it free?

I think that if Murdoch buys F1; it will mean the end for F1 as it mass appeal is because of it's free to air status in Europe; it's not free to air in the US; Speed TV is only available on cable TV! Although I do have access to SKY TV here in the US; don't as me how, very complicated, techy and boring... I can't imagine the teams or more specifically their sponsors will agree to having the sport broadcast on satellite TV or pay-per-view.
Just the thought that Fox News could own Formula One sends shivers down my spine.

Whats next? Is Glen Beck going to take over for Bernie?

:hehe:
Wait - :yikes::yikes::yikes:
:wink:
If he ever dared to try and take my F1 over, and intrude in the one part of my life he has no effect with his bigoted ideas, then id made a truly active effort to kill him.

I like your style. :D

Bernie says its all bulls*it though...

It best be.

At his age, Bernie only ever says what the pills he took that morning tell him to.

:rofl:
F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone says Robert Murdoch's News Corporation would be blocked from buying Formula 1. Ecclestone said: "I'm sure the European Commission wouldn't let it go through because our agreement with them was to keep F1 on free-to-air television.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula ... 252061.stm,

That's being added to my, "why the E.U is great and should be perused further list."
F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone says Robert Murdoch's News Corporation would be blocked from buying Formula 1. Ecclestone said: "I'm sure the European Commission wouldn't let it go through because our agreement with them was to keep F1 on free-to-air television.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula ... 252061.stm,

That's being added to my, "why the E.U is great and should be perused further list."

because it stops muppets like Murdoch trying to rule the world.

Murdoch always reminds me of that media mogul bond villan.
This story is running on a flash ticker on CNN this morning. Also Murdoch's parter is being quoted as Exor. For those who don't know who that is .... think red.

Exor, being an Italian/European corporation, will definitely be a benefit in terms of meeting European union requirements.

I'm guessing there will now be an avalanche of support once people here come to grips with the prospect of Exor part owning F1.

(I did suggest last year that LDM may make a move on CVC/F1)
Why in the hell are you all afriad of this. I hear constant bitching about bernie and here is a chance to get rid of him and have sombody own F1 that doesnt hold with the stupid green bull that is plagueing it right now with 4cylinder engines comming next year. Give them a damned chance before you start buring them. And do they are not going to put glen beck in charge.

Jesus. Who are the real biggots?
Williams overhauls and talks that F1 is getting bought over... now that's what a good 3-week break is all about :hehe:
I had a feeling something big was coming, the F1 world had been awfully quiet for the last 3 weeks.

I'm guessing there will now be an avalanche of support once people here come to grips with the prospect of Exor part owning F1.

(I did suggest last year that LDM may make a move on CVC/F1)

Definitely not from me, Ferrari having that much power id rather turn off the TV and watch NASCAR. :banghead:

If this goes ahead I hope that FOTA leave Ferrari and start their own series.

See our F1 related articles too!